Running as a Candidate/Candidate Eligibility
A person is eligible to be nominated as a candidate in a municipal election and to hold office as a member of council if the person:
- is at least 18 years old on the day of the election;
- is a Canadian citizen at the time that he or she submits the nomination paper;
- has resided in Saskatchewan for at least six consecutive months immediately preceding the date on which he or she submitted the nomination paper;
- is not disqualified pursuant to The Local Government Election Act, 2015 or any other Act; and
- is eligible to vote in the rural municipality.
A person cannot be nominated or elected as a Councillor for more than one Division or a Councillor of a Division and Reeve.
To be nominated a candidate must submit a completed Nomination Form along with a completed Public Disclosure Statement to a nomination officer at the R.M. Office.
Nomination Forms and Public Disclosure Statements will be available starting Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at the R.M. Office and by link below. Both forms must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 7, 2020. A Candidate may withdrawal their nomination by providing a withdrawal, in writing, by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 8, 2020.
Nomination forms must be signed by two eligible voters of the Division in which the Candidate is seeking nomination. The candidate’s nomination paper must be duly completed, signed and witnessed prior to submission and must accompany the candidate’s signed acceptance along with a signed Public Disclosure Statement.
More information can be found using the link below.