How long is a Development Permit valid for?
- Development Permit is valid for twelve (12) months unless otherwise stipulated
- If the use has been discontinued for a period of more than twelve (12) consecutive months.
How long is a Building Permit valid for?
- Building Permits expire 6 months from the date issued if work has not commenced or if work is suspended for 6 months.
- Building Bylaw – Section 5(11)
Can I get an extension for my Permit?
- If you require an extension for your permit, you will be required to write a letter to council outlining aspects of the project that have been completed and what is remaining giving an estimated timeline and target completion date.
Do I require a Permit for a Deck?
- A Building Permit IS required for a deck if the height at any point is above 2 feet from ground level.
Do I require a permit for an accessory building under 10m square?
- Building Permits are NOT typically required for accessory buildings (garden sheds, tool sheds, etc.) under 10m square.
Do I need a permit for cosmetic upgrades?
- Typically no permit is required for cosmetic upgrades such as painting or flooring which do NOT affect the structural or life safety.